Ingredients for 6 servings
- 2 Large Yellow Onions, Chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1⁄4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1⁄4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1⁄4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 Ounces Neufchatel Cream Cheese, Room Temperature
- 1⁄2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1⁄2 Cup Mayonnaise
Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the onions, cayenne, red pepper, salt and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for about 20 minutes until onions are brown and caramelized.
While onions are cooling, place Neufchatel , sour cream and mayonnaise in an electric mixer and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well.
Serve at room temperature on a toast cracker or spread on a beef sandwich.