Ingredients for 6 servings
- 2 Pounds Flat Iron or Flank Steak
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch
- 2-3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil, Divided
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger, Minced
- ½ Cup Tamari or Soy Sauce
- ½ Cup Water
- ½ Cup Light Brown Sugar, Lightly Packed
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flake
- 1 Bundle Green Onions, Sliced
Prepare the steak into ¼” cubes being sure to cut against the grain. In a large sealable bag add the cornstarch and beef. Toss the beef in the cornstarch until coated.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium to medium high heat, add the garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tamari, water, brown sugar and red pepper flake. Bring to a simmer cooking for 3 minutes. Pour the sauce into a bowl. Wipe the pan with a paper towel and add 1-1 ½” tablespoons vegetable oil. In batches, add the beef, not overcrowding. Brown the beef for 1-2 minutes per side. Remove the beef and place on a plate. Continue with batch 2, and or 3 if needed. When the beef is complete, add the sauce and beef back to the skillet and bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Serve over rice and garnish with sliced green onions.